School Based Services
Integrated Community Alternatives Network (ICAN), a Community-based Wraparound provider of Social and Mental Health services with emphasis on treating the client in a family context, is currently seeking innovative and experienced applicants to fill a Full-Time School-Based Behavior Specialist position in Verona, NY. (Click here for program information.)
The Behavior Specialist assists teachers, the clinical coordinator and administrators to work with students’ with severe emotional and behavioral problems to reach their individual educational and therapeutic goals, as well as improve their social interactions within a school community. Organize and implement academic and experiential activities and provide therapeutic support for students in day treatment programs. Promotes the philosophy and mission of the agency by performing the following duties.
Annual Salary: $37,800, Non-Exempt, paid at an hourly rate.
35-hour workweek, Monday - Friday (hours following the school schedule)
Please make sure to apply for this role - even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications. We welcome your application and would, in particular, like to know what about the role and our organization interested you.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in the development of the treatment plan and the identification and implementation of behavioral rules and consequences.
- Monitors, analyzes, and collaborates with teachers, therapists, other mental health staff and students in developing, implementing and monitoring individual student academic and behavioral progress and goals.
- Monitors student behavior in classroom setting based on information gathered and observed for each assigned student.
- Participates in program development, case management and supervision.
- Assists in setting limits with compassion.
- Directs students to use positive behaviors for success in the classroom and with diverse teaching styles.
- Utilizes appropriate interventions designed to help students practice coping skills, achieve academic success and eventually apply for transition back to “home” school.
- Designs, conducts and/or assists in group activities, including recording progress notes for each group and supervises lunchroom and recess, when assigned.
- Assists teachers in classroom management including assisting Clinicians by sharing information, meeting with administrators in determining students individual educational and therapeutic goals, supporting building social interactions within a school and local community.
- Adheres to best practices in professional ethics and boundaries.
- Evaluates crisis situations and escalated behaviors and provide appropriate interventions and support.
- Obtains behavior modification by using specific behavior management techniques.
- Associates Degree in Education, Special Education, Psychology, Social Work, or related field and four years relevant experience or Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Special Education, Psychology, Social Work, or related field required with at least two years relevant experience in traditional and non-traditional youth service setting required.
- Additional professional development in specialty areas helpful. Ability to adjust to student, staff, and program needs. Experience working with students with severe emotional and behavioral problems required.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a letter of interest, resume and list of professional references at our ICAN Career Center.ICAN is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- 401K Retirement Plan
- Paid Vacation Time
- Paid Sick Leave
- Paid Personal Time
- Paid Bereavement Time
- Paid Birthday Leave
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Insurance Buy Back
- Employee Wellness Benefit
- Longevity Awards